Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day Six - 08/24/09

First day of classes! I was going to try and transfer into a philosophy course today, so they said just go to the first day of classes and you should be good to go. The class started at 11. I woke up this morning and looked over at the microwave to see that the time was 10:58. Nice. I just started laughing out loud. After doing some "hand apart, hands together" exercises I got up, took a shower, and headed over to the classroom. I got there and the room was completely empty. Turns out class was canceled. Oh what a wonderful universe.

Went to my philosophy course, my first actual college class. It was so exciting and fun. I love philosophy and thought I had interesting things to say. Turns out I'm an ignorant douche. I'm so excited to expand my mind and thinking with the readings in this course and the discussions three times a week. Afterwards I went off to my discussion section for intro to cinema, which consisted of a TA reading the syllabus for the entire class period. Now it was 1:00 and I was done for the day. Class is a much more fun thing when only taken for two hours in the middle of the day. After class I went to the book store to check out some swag. Turns out, when you're poor, you don't need swag. Around six some friends from my floor met up with my gay RA (hey that rhymes) to talk to him about frat houses. He gave us the low down about frat life, what its like, and what frats have what reputation. He wasn't supposed to do this, but he's a tight dude and wanted us to know the facts. In general he has been breaking the rules because our best interests are at his heart. Its really great.

Finally we walked to the Row to see the houses. Had some BBQ burgers (with cajun and italian seasoning, something my dad should try on his next meat filled outing) and one frat even had a car bashing (apparently its common practice to find an old beat up car, park it on your lawn, and smash it to bits with an axe and/or sledge hammer. Obviously this was an activity for me).

Went to see Inglourious Basterds with about 25 other SCA (School of Cinematic Arts) kids. It was fun finally being with a crowd that I could identify with, and who understood and appreciated film the way I do. We stayed till the end of the credits. I think, as a film school student, this will become common practice for me for the rest of my life. We were told that there are a few things that cinema students always do and one is they stay and appreciate the hard work that was done by those names on the screen. Because one day, those names will be ours, and we would hope people would stay and appreciate our hard work.

Went back to campus with the rest of the SCA students and we all ordered four pizzas and two packages of bread sticks for on-campus delivery. We all sat around and ate on top of a giant piƱata used for the days festivities. I love these people. I'm so excited to work with them and learn from them. More classes tomorrow. So far, this Monday beats every other high school Monday's ass. Officially a college student. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment