Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day Five - 08/23/09

Ordered my books today. I didn't even get all of them and it was still $260. Its crazy how expensive college is. I mean, even if we weren't paying tuition, it always seems like they are tricking you into buying more and more things. Certain things are extra and other things can only be bought with cash, others only with discretionary funds. Afterwards I went to the fraternity BBQ to meet the frats and try to find one that I felt was right for me. I'm not one of those hardcore sports guys and I generally don't like guys who are so it was hard to find one that I thought fit me really well. I still don't really feel connected to any specific frat yet, but I'm hoping to connect with one more specifically as the week goes on. I will probably just end up pledging in spring tho, if at all. Its quite expensive (something I didn't know at all until yesterday) and if you pledge one frat you can't join any other one for as long as you're at SC. Thats a pretty big commitment to make without knowing the reputations of the different houses.

After the BBQ there was a comedy show with Anjelah Johnson (Bon Qui Qui from MadTV, you know..."SAH-KUR-IDEE!") and she was pretty good. Its crazy how huge these events are. Having 16000 undergrads has its advantages. The events come to you. Really fun. Went to dinner at Chipotle off campus and then to an ice cream social for my building. We went to the top floor to get bowls, the seventh for ice cream, the sixth for chocolate topping, and so on. We all met in the lobby for spoons and socializing but in the SoCal heat by the time we got there we needed straws for our cream soup.

Afterward I went to my friend Katrina's dorm to hang out for a bit. We hung out with her roommate who is a typical California girl but also really nice. She is interested in this guy who has been coming by her room quite often and she wanted to ask him where his room was. I am not kidding about this, we literally discussed with her for ten minutes about how she should ask this question. Should she say "Hey, what room are you in?" should she say "Hey what room are you in?" or "Hey! What room are you in?" or "What room are you in?" or "What room are you innnn?" (I guess its common to add consonants to the ends of words to make them seem more cute and less desperate). We mulled over which version of this phrase would set the right tone without seeming too interested. It was actually really fun and it allowed me to get to know Sarah. I remember thinking throughout the entire conversation how much I wished someone would spend this much energy thinking about how to talk to me. I wished I was cuter or more witty or sexier or something. I feel mediocre in all the different areas of attraction that could get girls to swoon like Sarah was. Maybe all this walking and forgetting to eat will change that. Who knows. Classes start tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment