Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Two Days of Mania

So sorry I haven't gotten to you guys in a while, I've been quite busy. I started writing this one two weeks ago so its in present tense. Go with me:

So this weekend was the 48 film festival and it was crazy fun but also just crazy. We started on Friday when they released the seven components from which we had to pick four to be in our film. The seven components were:

1. Music: Come Together by The Beatles
2. Character: The Fool
3. Color: Cardinal (must be in every shot)
4. Genre: Musical
5. Prop: Lightsaber
6. Motif: One character must walk backwards for the entirety of the film
7. Line of Dialogue: "Whoa, I thought it'd be bigger..."

As we set out to brainstorm the project, the component that stuck out to us was the "character walking backward." We tried to think, what character would always be walking backward...and then I remembered how Sarah Friedman, my tour guide at orientation, walked backward throughout the entire tour and even said she worked out on the treadmill to train her muscles to walk backward. This was hilarious at the time, and I thought would translate well to film. I suggested the idea of a ridiculously overzealous tour guide as a main character, and then we went from there.

The concept was: we meet tommy the tour guide when he's very depressed. He's sullen, his room shows it, his walk shows it, his actions show it. Then we cut to a flashback showing why he's depressed. It shows a normal day in the life of Tommy, and the ridiculous things he does to be "the greatest tour guide alive." And then he would be asked a question on his tour that he couldn't answer. This would spiral him into a depression which he is lifted out of in the final sequence.

We hash out a script and we start shooting the next day. Halfway through shooting, I realize that the guy who is running the camera, Spencer, is making a completely different movie than I am. I had a concept of how a major sequence was going to go and as we continue to shoot, I realize that my sequence isn't being shot. This is an interesting conflict because we're using Spencer's camera so by default he is directing. And yet, hearing his concept of the scene, I don't see how his version will work. As a director what I see in my head of a movie is exactly what it is for me. I can't bring myself to see it from any other perspective and, because what I see in my head makes so much sense to me, I can't see it going any other way and making sense. I think I'd like to be more able to amalgamate ideas because I feel so much of filmmaking is collaboration. And yet I'm unsure how to move my brain around in that way.

As we're shooting I call a friend of mine who is a Junior in production and ask if he wants to come and help us out on the film. He meets us in the library where we are shooting a short scene with two actors. One of the actors is a BFA (Bachelor's in Fine Arts) in acting, meaning he is literally only taking acting classes...so he's good. The other is just a friend of ours who was willing to help us out on his weekend. The scene is that Tommy is going around campus spouting off random facts to strangers. Andy (our actor for the character of Tommy) has a long line that is a random fact about the library and at the end the other character asks him "Who are you!?" as in "What do you want, what are you doing here, and get away from me!" Andy is doing great and nailing his line every time, but our non-actor is having some trouble with the emphasis and comedic timing of his line. Then David comes in.

Before I describe what unfolded, let me give you a little background on David. David is a junior in production which means he should have started his production classes this semester. He didn't start his production classes because before you can start your production classes you have to pass all of your General Education classes. This takes most people two years and then they start production courses in the fall of junior year. Or if they're lucky Spring of Sophomore year. One of the GE credits necessary for production is three semesters of a foreign language. David took German all four years of high school but decided to mix it up and take spanish in college to become trilingual. David is in third semester spanish for the second time because he failed it last semester. He also had to take second semester twice to pass. Keep in mind I was one of the worst spanish speakers in my high school class and got a 2 on the spanish AP test, but I'm one of the best speakers in this spanish class here. David is also Army ROTC and rides a motorcycle.

David comes in to the room and almost immediately takes over production. I'll give him credit, he asked permission to do so, but then proceeded to give an acting lesson to our non-actor. He gave him motivation and gave him a back story to come from. This is literally a character we see for all of five seconds. He had a great exercise for the actors in the scene and he showed some genius in his ability to direct them accurately, but I think the entire thing was lost on our poor non-actng friend. I thought David truly understood what we were trying to do with the scene and how the line needed to be said. Then he tried to act the part himself because he got so frustrated with our non-actor's non-existent acting abilities. He said the line wrong and it lost all of its surprise and humor.

The strange thing about it though was seeing David's genius as a director. On an actual production with real actors, I felt like he would have gotten exactly what he wanted from them without offending them. He did well from an executive perspective and ran the room from a position of power. This was strange because David acts like an idiot in Spanish class. We're in the same spanish class and everyone knows him as the kid who says "Como se dice (how do you say)..." and then whatever he wants to say but in English. He loses tons of participation points by not trying to speak in Spanish. And he knows this. But he just doesn't do it. It was such a major contrast between the Spanish Class David and the Director David. He's obviously in the right industry and he's doing what he's good at but I'm a strong believer in the g-factor of intelligence. This is basically the theory that if you're a genius in one thing, you're pretty much a genius (or at least can be a genius) in everything. Intelligence is an all around thing. This means that David is pretending in Spanish class. He really could be good at it and is unconsciously deciding not to be.

I have since worked with David on a few other things and he always attaches a disclaimer when working with anyone. He tells me not to model my directing after certain people because they aren't good at it. Or not to listen to certain people because they don't know what they're talking about. I have yet to decide whether David knows what he's talking about or if he's just pretending to know. Although in this business, that may be the same thing.

We had three editors going on the footage we shot for a good six hours (from about 11 pm saturday night and 5 am sunday morning) and got it all sequenced together. My job was to splice all of our individual sequences together into the final movie. When I did this at 8 am sunday (the film was due in twelve hours) the film was ten minutes long. The length requirement was five minutes. So...at that point...i went to sleep.

We ended up completely changing our chronology in order to squeeze the film into that time slot. The final film is available for viewing here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da75DHfyZ2s

We cut out a lot of good material and will probably make a ten minute director's cut sometime soon. I finally understand why directors do that. Its so hard to cut a film down to a manageable size and you want people to see things that they just can't see if its going to be short enough to be commercial.

We present our films to our other production friends that have also been making movies in their own groups over the weekend. Each group has one of the Keeling brothers.

These twins are the talk of the freshmen in production. They will probably end up being the next Coens. They are from Kansas and over the last summer produced a full length film and premiered it in their town's cinema. They both got into production (even though that is so massively improbable) and were randomly assigned to be each other's roommates (even though thats even more massively improbable). They even called USC when they found out and asked for a reassignment and were declined. They love movies and are absolutely brilliant.

Both of their movies were amazing. They were beautifully shot, acted, written and edited. I felt exactly what I was supposed to feel and they emoted it from me. They were compelling and felt short. They were scary and emotional and powerful. And they did this all in 48 hours. If you'd like to see their films you can check them out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FWLi9j_z1M&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF05PiMQ91w&feature=channel_page

My favorite of the two is Mirror Mirror.

After watching these two films, I felt almost ashamed of mine. I felt like I could have done so much better and was so frustrated that they had such a head start on me. We watched ours last, which was a bad idea from the get go because it had to follow these two masterpieces. Next time, I'm definitely going to work with one of them to learn their secrets and tricks, because they obviously know what they're doing a lot more than I do.

Monday was my birthday, but I'll tell you all the story of that day in my next entry.

2 comments:

  1. Just letting you know that I checked out all three video's. Keep working hard so we can see you on the big screen someday.
    LOVE YOU!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I liked the "Like someone in love" movie best, but all of them were awesome! The one you made was so tight. Keep up the good work man, miss you as always.

    ReplyDelete